BFA Technical Theatre Production
Bring Artistic Vision To Life
The BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) Technical Theatre Production program is a four-year degree revolving around a series of workshops, practical projects and coursework, all of which solidify your background in theatre production techniques and practices.
As a Technical Production student you have the unique opportunity to collaborate with MFA directors, MFA and BFA designers, our BA Drama and BFA actors, as well as leading professionals from the Edmonton theatre community and national theatre scene working on department productions and plays from the U of A Studio Theatre season.
Learn all aspects of backstage work – from the business administrative duties of balancing a production budget, ordering materials and scheduling staff, to the construction of sets and scenic properties. In addition, master theatre technologies including digital sound, computerized light boards, technical drawing and scenic flying.
Areas of Technical Production
• Scenic Carpentry: construction of stage sets and scenic elements
• Stage Carpentry: rigging and running of scenery on the stage
• Lighting: hanging, focusing and control of all lighting elements
• Sound: creation of soundscapes as designed, cue mixing and operation of all recording, playback and balancing equipment
• Properties: creation of hand, set or dressing props for a production
• Computer Aided Drafting and Design (CADD): the technologies necessary to work in larger professional theatre facilities
BFA Technical Theatre Production at the U of A – the ultimate in hands-on education
The Technical Production stream of the Technical Theatre program consistently draws prestigious guest instructors to teach workshops in exciting topics like Area and Trapeze Rigging with Cirque du Soleil, Festival Planning, Welding, Period Furniture, Upholstery, Lathework, Master Rigging/Stage Machinery, Fall Arrest (with certification), Firearms Handling (with certification), Properties Buying/Acquisition, Dramaturgy/Copyright Law, Styrofoam Carving/Bas Relief, First Aid (with certification) and Automated Lighting.
Courses and Planning Your Schedule
Download the BFA Technical Production Course List to see degree requirements, course descriptions and standard schedules.