BFA Technical Theatre Stage Management
Without You the Show Can’t Go On
The BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) Technical Theatre Stage Management program is a four-year degree revolving around core stage management classes, practical projects and coursework, all of which solidify your background in theatre history, theatre practices, theatre design, genres and theories.
Run the show with a high level of professionalism. From assisting the director in the rehearsal process, to calling scene changes and lighting cues during a performance, the stage manager is the essential team leader of any production. Develop excellent communication and organizational skills through participation in class work and department productions.
Responsibilities of the Stage Manager
• Efficient and safe operation of the rehearsal room and the backstage and onstage of the theatre--before, during and after rehearsals and performances
• Rehearsal documentation: blocking notation; scene changes of stage scenery, costume and wig changes, furniture and props; maintenance of daily rehearsal schedules and costume fittings
• Effective communication and collaboration with directors, designers, actors, production staff and administration
• Calling the performance: coordinating acting and technical cues--entrances, exits and scene shifts--to the artistic wishes of the director
• Integrating all technical elements--lighting and sound cues, flown and mechanized scenery, and special effects
Faculty member John Raymond has worked numerous times as Stage Manager on Catalyst Theatre's creative team. Click to read Catalyst Theatre's Q & A with John!
BFA Technical Theatre Stage Management at the U of A – the ultimate in hands-on education
The University of Alberta is one of only three universities in Canada to offer a specialization in Stage Management. This rare degree's advanced and intensive training is recognized by industry professionals, including the Canadian Actors' Equity Association. Upon graduation, you will be awarded a credit towards the apprenticeship credits required to become a full Equity member.
Courses and Planning Your Schedule
Download the BFA Stage Management Course List to see degree requirements, course descriptions and standard schedules.